You Call This Global Warming?

It’s the middle of April in Washington, DC and it’s 45 degrees. It’s been like this alllllllll week.

I’m not sure what happened with the Cherry Blossom festival. I would have stayed inside anyway.

Cherry blossomsIn spite of being from upstate New York, I’m not a fan of the cold. I have very little body fat so I lack any natural mechanism for keeping warm. After 18 years in the DC area, I’m a Southerner…but I do expect the South to be a little warmer.

How about other people out there? What’s the weather like in your region? Is it about normal to you or are you experiencing odd weather this year.

Creative Commons License photo credit: matsuyuki

1. Judy on April 15, 2007 at 2:17 pm

In NY – FREEZING – torrential rain and not very comfortable! UGH….

I guess we’re not having Spring this year?

NY was on record for having the warmest winter in years – and, come Feb – everything changed – our winter has arrived – instead of Dec – March, this year it is Feb thru April…

Let’s hope for warmer weather soon.

2. Mary on April 15, 2007 at 2:28 pm

Louisville KY
    In the 40’s – breezy … Frost last week devasted many crops. It will be a hungry summer.

3. Elaine on April 15, 2007 at 2:35 pm

STEINBACH,MANITOBA

GORGEOUS SUNSHINE TODAY;TEMPERATURE IN THE HIGH 60`S
    THE FORECAST IS FOR THIS KIND OF WEATHER FOR THE NEXT WEEK.
    I THINK THIS IS NORMAL FOR MID APRIL
    CANADA ISNT ALWAYS COLD!!

4. Ray on April 15, 2007 at 2:36 pm

In New Carrollton, MD – 47 and rain showers.

5. Suzy on April 15, 2007 at 3:38 pm

It snowed on Easter. Was very cold. I missed seeing my family just 120 miles away :(. But it is 70 degrees today. Just finished planting more rrossee bushes. Beautiful weather. Yes of course it is about normal for West Texas. They say if you don’t like the weather in West Texas, just wait a little bit, and it will change. Ha. Ha.

6. Sabrina on April 15, 2007 at 4:02 pm

I live in Chesapeake, Virginia and no the weather is not right. We had the warmest weather in January, we were all wearing shorts and had our air condition on. Once February came everything changed. We had our Christmas now and our Easter in December.

7. Elizabeth on April 15, 2007 at 6:12 pm

Last week it was 30 degrees colder than normanl and today it is very nice, about 70. We do not usually get in the teens this time of year like we had last week. Snow can come anytime which we just had. We are in the 7th year of drought.

8. Edie on April 15, 2007 at 6:27 pm

SW Missouri was really cold last night. I got up this morning to frost on the ground. After the rains it’s been chilly. This week “they” are predicting good Spring-type weather. I’m glad I’m not up in the NE.

9. Shirley on April 15, 2007 at 7:57 pm

I’m in the Harrisburg,Pa. area. I to am wondering when Spring will truly start. We had a week or so of nice spring weather and then snow. I’m holding back on putting my plants out for the season. Maybe somebody of a Higher Authority is trying to get our attention with all the strange weather problems around the world.

10. Michael on April 15, 2007 at 8:06 pm

I live in the beautiful Pacific N.W., and today 4-15 its sunny mid sixties a wonderful day to be outside.

11. Bob Greene (aka Merlin) on April 15, 2007 at 9:37 pm

Weather for Fort Lauderdale, FL
    71°F
    Partly Cloudy
    Wind: W at 14 mph
    Humidity: 63% Sun

87° | 56° Mon

73° | 56° Tue

79° | 63° Wed

81° | 65° Thurs

NO COMPLAINTS HERE – merlin – gorgeous sunset here also today – stay well

12. Suzie on April 16, 2007 at 12:38 am

Weather here in Arizona has been completley normal, there are few shifts from year to year. But lets look back a hundred years ago, and in many places manily the NE. The same type pattern were happening then as now. To think twenty years ago, the enviormentalist were telling us that every thing was going to freeze. Live by faith, enjoy the beauty, take in graditude and love. Let God take care of the rest…

13. tony on April 16, 2007 at 12:46 am

Hi, I work in Jubail Saudi Arabia.
    On the 13th April we had hailstones over 1 inch across, and several inches of rain.
    In the 9 years I have been here we have not had such a cold and wet winter, the desert has been a mass of yellow flowers in December/January. Temperatures down to 26F.
    Its coming back to normal temperatures now, but the climate is changing!
    Tony

14. Shawn on April 16, 2007 at 7:02 am

I live in sunny South Africa.(Gauteng/Johannesburg) Were heading towards our autum here, early mornings chilly, very hoy during the 30degrees during the day and goes to about 6/7 degrees at night. our rainfall patterns have also been strange, so not much is new. Were experiencing strange phenomena such as spring tides which is not a regular occurrance, causing quite a bit of damage along the coastline.

15. Betty on April 16, 2007 at 8:37 am

Greeting from Sunny Ocala, Florida. It’s Monday morning and it was 39 last night. It will get up to the 70’s I believe, but a little chilly for this time of the year. Sure glad I’m not up North today. I love the sunshine!

16. Jeanette L Ross on April 16, 2007 at 10:06 am

We returned from Florida early in Feb. where it was warmer than “normal”. In northern Illinois the first half of April has been cold and windy. Flowers and trees that were budding because of an abnormally warm spell are now frozen. Our concern is that the fruits we ordially enjoy in the summer are lost.

17. Crystal on April 16, 2007 at 12:51 pm

In Northern CA, it is a beautiful 65 degrees and sunny.
    Man Made Global Warming is a hoax created by politicians so that they can try and tell us what we can and can not do and tax us for our mere existence. Just ask the meteorologists- those who actually study weather and the change patterns. Weather change is normal! Or better yet- ask God- who are we to say that humans have the power to alter the creation of the all mighty?

18. Barbara on April 16, 2007 at 10:02 pm

Oklahoma City—Normally in April, we are turning on the AC but it has been unseasonably cold here. Freezing temperatures over the weekend. Today was more typical but there was still a coolness in the air and in the high 60’s and sunny. Forecast says rain for tomorrow and back into the high 50’s. Hope we can remember this in July and August!

19. Kerry Patricia Shultz on April 17, 2007 at 3:16 am

Hi Dave. I live in the Hunter region of New South Wales, Australia, a stone’s throw from Newcastle Harbour, our coal port. Kahiba, Lake Macquarie to be precise. Yes, our summer was much milder and probably winter will be colder. The meteorologist gods say it’s El Nino lessening and we’ll get La Nina now for a certain time. I’ve always veared towards US humans, affecting the Earth with our fear or love. The movie What the Bleep….Do We Know shows how frozen water crystals change with the emotions around it. Plants react to music. They grow best with Bach and worse with rock. I love both. Our own bodies react to our emotions. So, why not the whole kit and kaboodle? Nevertheless, where we are at now, is at least putting us on notice that this magnificent spinning creation we live on needs all the love and attention we can muster. Everything grows best with love.

Here is a quote I was given.
    If the Earth were only a few feet in diameter, floating a few feet above a field somewhere, people would come and marvel at it. People would walk around it, marvelling at its big pools of water, its little pools of water and the water flowing between the pools. People would marvel at the bumps on it and the holes in it and they would marvel at the very thin layer of gas surrounding it and the wispy white cloud suspended in the gas. The people would marvel at all the creatures walking around the surface of the ball and the creatures in the water. The people would declare it precious because it was the only one and they would protect it so that it would not be hurt. The ball would be the greatest wonder known and people would come to se it, to be healed, to gain knowledge, to see and know beauty and to wonder how it could be. People would love it, and defend it with their lives because they would somehow know that their lives, their own roundness could be nothing without it. If the Earth were only a few feet in diameter. Author unknown.

Kind regards. Kerry P Shultz

20. Kerry Patricia Shultz on April 17, 2007 at 3:25 am

Dave and all. Reading my comment I’d like to emphasise the “US humans” is just that, us humans. Not United States. You are all beautiful, cheery and I love you all.

21. Maria on April 17, 2007 at 11:32 am

hi
    am from Jordan , down here is dusty and sometimes hot and other cold just you can say crazy >
    maria

22. terry on April 18, 2007 at 10:46 am

at weekend in charlotte we had very high winds and the temperature went from about 70degrees to about 40degrees in a couple of hours

23. David on April 27, 2007 at 8:34 pm

I am writing this from San Jose, Costa Rica. The last two weeks here have been unusually hot for this time of year…30 to 35 degrees Celsius. Apparently the normal rainfall fall patterns around the country at the start of the rainy season are also really weird and basically all messed up. With the ‘non winter’ experienced in North America and Europe until mid January this year, something strange is definitely happening to the world’s weather. And today I read that all of the bees necessary to pollinate crops in North America are inexplicably dieing. What’s going on anyway? Maybe the bees are just pissed at the mess we are making of the planet!