Even a Miracle Needs a Hand

Even A Miracle Needs A Hand

It’s rare that I look for some piece of information and not find it on the internet, and even more rare when I can actually supply that information and be the first person to share it with the world. I recently looked for the lyrics to “Even A Miracle Needs A Hand” which is a song from the 1974 cartoon “Twas the Night Before Christmas” and could not find them anywhere.

What is it about this song that attracts people to this site every day? Please leave a comment below and share your thoughts and feelings about this song.

I finally found an mp3 of the song here

I have the lyrics to the song as well. For your reading pleasure, for the first time anywhere on the internet here are the lyrics to “Even A Miracle Needs A Hand”

Even A Miracle Needs a Hand

Miracles happen most every day
to people like you and me
but don’t expect a miracle
unless you help make it to be

You hope while I hurry
You pray while I plan
We’ll do what’s necessary cause
Even a miracle needs a hand

You love and I’ll labor
You sit while I stand
Get help from a next door neighbor cause
Even a miracle needs a hand

We’ll help our maker
to make our dreams come true
but I can’t do it alone
So here’s what we’re gonna do

You hope while I hurry
You pray while I plan
We’ll do what’s necessary cause
Even a miracle needs a hand

We’ll help our maker
to make our dreams come true
but we can’t do it alone
So what are we’re gonna do

You wish while I whittle
You drip while I dry
Lets all try to help a little cause
Even a miracle needs a hand

1. Barbara Stone on November 13, 2007 at 9:09 am

THank you! I too have been searching for this song everywhere. Thanks

2. Merri on December 6, 2007 at 7:02 pm

Thanks Dave. Just watched this old classic the other night & I’ve always thought that song was so nice. Always wanted to know all the words.
    Very much appreciated!

3. Jim McDermott on December 21, 2007 at 1:19 am

Thanks for the song! I looked for it everywhere!

4. michelle on December 21, 2007 at 12:14 pm

thsnks so much. i used to have the lp of this show when i was a kid. i appreciate this.

5. Craig Cottrell on December 21, 2007 at 1:56 pm

You rock. I’ve been searching everywhere for these lyric’s. Now my friends believe me. Even a miracle needs a hand!!!

6. Heidi on April 24, 2008 at 3:02 pm

Thanks! I’ve had this song in my head for days! But I could only remember…
    “You hope while I hurry
    You pray while I plan
    We’ll do what’s necessary cause
    Even a miracle needs a hand”
    Now at least I can sing the whole thing to myself 🙂

7. mionic on April 29, 2008 at 3:43 pm

Im looking for this song “Even a miracle needs a hand” but I cant find it. Does anybody know where i can get it????

8. FEROX on December 1, 2008 at 10:05 pm

I have the LP soundtrack from back in the day. It is a classic.

9. Cartoon Boy on December 2, 2008 at 9:35 pm

Do you have any other songs from the classic cartoon, specifically “There’s More to the World than Meets the Eye?”

I have the complete cartoon on VHS, but every time I see it on ABC Family, they cut this song! I assume they do it to allow for more commercials, but not showing this song makes watching the cartoon incomplete.

10. Brenda on December 9, 2008 at 8:20 pm

It is a song that just always stuck in my head and my heart! Thank you!!!

11. Savannah on December 19, 2008 at 4:38 pm

thank you so much for posting these lyrics 🙂

my family is christmas obsessed. & i grew up watching this movie every single year after it came out.
    the other day, this song got stuck in my head & i just kept humming it around the house while doing christmas things.
    at first i didn’t have any idea why this song from a movie i hadn’t seen in a year was stuck in my head…but then i realized…this is truly one of the most christmas spirited songs.

it encopasses the very meaning of christmas in a way no other song can. it shows that it’s a spirit that should be kept all year long, but one that truly comes out during christmastime.

life has been rough lately. & i know that even though i consider the ups & downs of my life lately as rough, then others are experiencing way worse.
    & i’m going to try & give any miracle i can this christmas & always, a hand. 🙂

thanks for posting the lyrics 🙂
    & a merry christmas to all. <3

12. Midge on December 22, 2008 at 6:31 pm

The parts where it said the word “while” he actually says “and”, except for the “while I dry” part. I listened to it while following along to these lyrics to make sure I wasn’t wrong in my correction.

13. Callie on February 9, 2009 at 6:42 pm

had it stuck in my head – thanks for the lyrics! where did you find the mp3? i can’t find it anywhere! ahh!

• Dave Saunders on February 12, 2009 at 9:52 am

@callie I don’t remember where I found the MP3 and I would like to get a better recording of the ENTIRE song. 🙂

14. Theresa on July 20, 2009 at 10:03 am

Love this song… it’s full of hope. I had this song in my head and thanks to google and you – took two seconds to find the lyrics!!

15. Pj Pantaleo on July 28, 2009 at 1:38 pm

I found the song and a few others at I have posted them here:

16. Pj Pantaleo on July 28, 2009 at 1:39 pm

I found the song and a few others at I have posted them here:

17. Essence on November 21, 2009 at 4:34 pm

I can remeber the first time I heard this song. I thought that it was the best song in the world! At the time I wished that I could rewind TV to listen to it again. I was born in ’76, so it was in the 80’s that I watch this. I looked forward to Christmas every year so that I could watch this movie on TV just for this song. I am 33 and will be ordering the video for my children so that I can start the tradition all over again with the next generation. THANK YOU, THANK YOU, AND THANK YOU AGAIN.

18. Lisa on December 2, 2009 at 12:22 pm

Yeah! My kids loved this movie and I could never rember the name of it…just the little mouse, the big clock and a few lines from the song.
    Thanks!

• Dave Saunders on December 2, 2009 at 12:31 pm

Thanks Lisa, when I get a song like this stuck in my head I seek out the lyrics and do a full sing-through. That usually does the trick. 🙂

19. David Langston on December 3, 2009 at 9:54 am

I woke up this morning with this song in my head. I’m sure I haven’t heard it in over 20 years. Thanks for letting me get on with my morning.

20. Christine on December 21, 2009 at 1:51 pm

I could't get the song to play. Bummer.

• Dave Saunders on January 19, 2010 at 11:56 pm

The file link is broken…working on fixing that…

21. Kyle on January 19, 2010 at 4:34 pm

What attracts people to this song is that it is uplifting but not only that … It brings back a time of innocence and long held memories of their childhood

• Dave Saunders on January 19, 2010 at 11:55 pm

Great point Kyle. It's a simple song with a simple message. One that's enduring and often needed…especially in challenging times. 🙂

22. Travis on April 21, 2010 at 7:08 pm

I was sitting at work and this song just popped into my head. I was glad to find the lyrics. I think this song is just one of those that come back through your head every once in a while.

YouTube Video Verision of the Song available at the following:

23. Ruth on November 6, 2010 at 4:16 pm

My son was diagnosed with Muscular Dystrophy last week. He’s 5 years old. Right now the research on curing it progressing by leaps and bounds, and we are hoping for this miracle to happen within his lifetime. For now, we are doing everything we can to get the most out of his life while he’s still with us. This song has special meaning for me.

24. amyh on November 11, 2010 at 5:01 am

I love this song. The movie was one of my favorites as a child. I think of it often during the holidays, but no one I know remembers it! Thanks for sharing!

25. Patcollgallagher on December 6, 2010 at 11:01 pm

Finally found this movie on DVD and shared it with my own kids. It was a favorite of mine when I was little. I love this catchy song!!!

26. Matthewzin on December 12, 2010 at 8:29 pm

wondering if anyone knows where there are ukulele or guitar tabs/chords for this tune.

27. christmas guy on December 20, 2010 at 1:07 am

I loved the cartoon growing up, the song is so catchy especially the guy who sings it in the cartoon. its just one of those great songs from a Christmas toon like the Mr. Grinch song or the Heat miser and cold miser songs.

• Sdeb123 on January 9, 2011 at 7:51 pm

His name is Snow Miser, not Cold Miser.

28. Mandi282 on November 16, 2011 at 12:08 pm

We believe in miracles and we expect miracles to come to us. I never thought about how we should participate until I read the lyrics. Even a miracle needs a hand.

29. Anonymous on November 27, 2011 at 7:41 pm

It’s not ”
    You hope while I hurry.”
    It is “So you hope and I’ll hurry.”  There are innumerable other transcription errors.  It makes me wonder if it’s deliberate.  This song is all over YouTube, so corrections should be easy for the webmaster.

30. Jennifer on December 7, 2012 at 8:25 am

I love the song because it makes miracles (which most of us need at one time or another) accessible.

31. Aquarius Cox on December 22, 2012 at 12:30 am

I love this song. It has a Christlike theme to it.

32. disqus_QD4s8BTT5K on March 10, 2013 at 10:49 pm

I don’t think you have all the lyrics. As to why you get hits, the song has long since been heavily edited when this older holiday special gets aired.