The Social Media Manifesto

With 5 of the top 10 web sites, according to Alexa rankings, being social media sites, it’s pretty clear that change is coming.

Change is already here.

How this change affects your business and even how you find your next job is detailed in my new report “The Social Media Manifesto.” Download your own copy of this free report here.

People on the Internet are moving away from using search engine results as a way of doing “research” and finding solution providers for their needs. Instead they’re going to social media sites and talking with others about those problems and solutions.

This is turning mass media on its head too.

The search engine companies recognize this too. Of the top 5 social media sites, Google has already purchased 3. Media mogul Rupert Murdoch even reflected this recognition in Forbes magazine in this statement regarding how he sees people today, “They are no longer content to be a passive audience; they insist on being participants, on creating their own material and finding others who will want to read, listen and watch.”

This is good news for you.

If you know the right way to engage others through social media, you can form new partnerships, new JVs, referrals and even solidify your existing business relationships through social media and all without caring for one second about what keywords you’re using and even if your content is showing up in the search engines.

I’d like to hear about your networking experiences.

How has social media changed your business?

How has it helped you connect to others?

What kinds of response times have you seen by simpy reaching out and introducing yourself to someone?

Before using social media, was networking a part of your business activities?

Sound off below.

1. Courtney Engle on October 27, 2008 at 1:14 pm

I’ve had the privilege to share breakfast on several occasions with a national best selling author as a result of networking on Facebook first. By first adding value and sharing with this author, additional doors have opened for me. To take that a step further, a friend will be having coffee with this author as a result of my introductions, to learn more on networking.

By applying social media networking, I am in closer contact with my in-person connections, but have expanded business by building relationships online. Using social media to establish or extend relationships is important to expanding business based upon trust.

2. Michelle on October 27, 2008 at 1:16 pm

I love social media sites and the person that has inspired me most is Dr. Wright of The Wright Place TV Show. She is the Twitter queen. She is my favorite client and I will do anything to support her.

3. Winnie Anders on October 27, 2008 at 5:38 pm

Nice post.
    It was through social networking that I recognized the need for a personal website. People want a place to “land” to find out more about you and your products.
    For a newbie it was not an easy task to build a website, but alas, today is the day it went online. It’s a milestone and even though it’s incomplete,I’m pleased.
    It was also through networking that I received help and suggestions from people like Dave. That personal advice has a value high in the mind of the receiver. It’s priceless.

4. Brother Paul on October 27, 2008 at 10:47 pm

I resisted social networking altogether at first. And, then Willie Crawford convinced me to go and check it out. Stumbled onto my new friend, who happens to have created this site, and then burst on to blogtalkradio.com with Dave as my first interviewee. Tomorrow, I’ll be working with John DiLemme who is a fellow Twitter-ite, and I’ve made some major connections with the likes of M.C. Hammer among others.

I’ve been on the net for ten years, and I can feel more happening now, since my foray into Social Networking (and more importantly-Social Branding) then I have at any specific point in the last decade.

Brother Paul

5. Dr Barb on October 31, 2008 at 5:48 am

Dave,
    I just read your Social Media Manifesto and I agree with it 100%.

It is a natural inclination of people to connect with eachother and to interact and communicate easily.
    Twitter and Bill Gates Zune especially makes that delightfully possible. It teaches you to express yourself and be the person you are. That is one’s best asset.. personality! Be sure to show it on Twitter and in the rest of your life in order to gain social credibility. We live in a Recommendation Age (Glenn Dietzel) and are looking for brands to trust. But first, comes the trust in the person promoting the brand!

6. Jeremy on November 7, 2008 at 10:09 pm

Thank you for the great information I look forward to the emails and hope to learn more.

When I first heard of the web 2.0 era I was very excited about it. In fact I immediately began to study what it was about and I am relieved to hear that it is a way for everyone familiar with it to voice an opinion about any subject or experience. With many companies concerned with whether a customer is satisfied with them, they could simply keep track of blogging sites etc.. to learn from mistakes made and build stronger relationships. Otherwise I love the fact that I can communicate with people I don’t even know that may be anywhere in the country with similar interests.

7. Liz Monte on November 23, 2008 at 2:34 pm

Dave,
    I read your Social Media Manifesto last night, and it brought a lot of scattered concepts into sharp focus for me. There’s a lot of substance in what you wrote.
    Thanks for making it available.
    Liz

8. Dave Saunders on November 23, 2008 at 11:08 pm

@Liz thanks so much for the comments. I’m working on an update too. Glad it helped explain things for you.

9. Sabrina on February 17, 2011 at 11:03 pm

You might want to check YourSocialBrand.com Aweber is giving an error message.

• Dave Saunders on February 19, 2011 at 8:48 pm

Thanks for the heads up. It’s fixed now.